8/20/08

Day of (un?)rest

Normally, I would not say it's restful to wake up before 6 on a Sunday morning, get dressed, then have my 3-year-old come in the room with white lips and an upset stomach. It's not usually good when he then asks for a bowl of cereal even though I know he will be losing said cereal within minutes of eating it. It's especially not a good thing if it's a Sunday when I am supposed to both teach the lesson in Relief Society, and conduct my first choir rehearsal in two months right after church. To add to the confusion, I had a house full of visiting in-laws, who were trying to get ready for church and pack up their stuff to leave for home right afterward.

But I have a fabulous husband who cleaned up Riley's mess on the floor, the bucket, the bathtub, and changed the sheets TWICE, and comforted the poor sick kid. I have kind, self-sufficient relatives who took care of their own needs and didn't mind getting their own breakfasts. I have a great Relief Society whose members like to comment a lot during lessons. And I have an easygoing choir, half of whom actually showed up (mixed blessing there).

Best of all, all of this Sunday-morning craziness was a welcome change after a week spent going from one family gathering to the next. We had a barbecue with Kurt & Kara, Dan & Dee, Kathryn and Kent, and all the kids going crazy. We went swimming with the herd of kids. We had a family dinner to welcome Leo and Tricia home. We had a family breakfast just for fun. Bruce and I had six kids under 6 sleep over here (plus two over six and their parents). We took all the kids to the park. We played cards. I gave up sweeping the floor becuase of all the kids kids kids! And to top it all off, Zeke started crawling on Sunday morning!

So you can see how maybe teaching a lesson and conducting a choir pale in comparison to all that stress. We had tons of fun, but I'm happy to be back to work and the normal routine. The only problem is, work is starting to seem stressful again. Could you all please visit (at the same time) every week or two so I can keep my stress level in perspective?

1 comment:

just dandee said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thanks so much for all you did to make that week wonderful for everyone. Thanks for always being so willing to take our boys. We love you guys so much. Have fun camping this weekend!