7/17/08

More than just surviving!

I usually go into survival mode when Bruce is gone--extra movies for the kids, no cleaning the house, early bedtimes all around (well, not for me). I thought this trip would be extra hard since he's off in Wyoming with nary a cell phone in sight. I can't even unload on him at the end of each day.

But the past few days I've been reading a horribly predictable, extra-cheesy romance novel (published by Deseret Book, which gives you an idea). Don't ask why. Anyway, there are two single parents who, during their dating "crisis" and all their other stresses (including bratty kids), somehow manage to be perfect parents. Not a grumpy word. Always saying the right thing. Not clueless about why their perfect children are suddenly slamming doors, but able to let the kids work it out with just the right amount of help. You get the picture. Yeah, fake.

Normally, that would bother me more than a Hannah Montana TV marathon. But I guess it's rubbed off a little. I've never been so cheerful on five hours of sleep and no husband for three more days! I preempted a few potential fights and tantrums today. Kept my patience while watching my friend's kids. Surprised Riley by saying "yes" when he asked for pancakes for dinner, and "yes" again when he pulled out the chocolate chips and asked to put those IN the pancakes (you should have seen the disbelief on his face!). Gave the kids an EXTRA bedtime story, despite Zeke loudly clamoring for food and bed too.

Sorry, I'm not bragging. Heck, I'm too embarrased about the lame book to even tell you what it's called. But if reading about two (fictional, of course) perfect parents can make me a better one, even while Bruce is out of town, I might just struggle through a few more trite, predictable books. At least it's slightly more interesting than parenting books, which just depress me and make me feel like a failure. In the meantime, does anyone know any worthwhile books about really great parents? Probably not--you can have a good novel or perfect characters, but not both.

2 comments:

The Moyers said...

Wow! How times have changed from the BYU days. I loved looking at pictures of your cute family. Come and check us out at www.moyermayhem.blogspot.com. Can't wait to stay better "connected" now with the blogs.

Lindsay said...

Hi Christy,
This post reminds me of a recent Ensign article advising moms to say "yes" whenever possible. In any case, it's so true that when a difficult situation comes up with the kids, it takes commitment and a certain attitude to handle it in a positive constructive way. I feel like I've finally learned this. I feel bad for my first born, he gets the brunt of all my mistakes and experiments. :)

Check out Melissa's blog.
http://meanderingsofmel.blogspot.com/
Lindsay Lewis