9/25/08

First Tooth, First Word

After the whole crawling/walking thing, I think the biggest baby milestone for me might be cutting those first teeth. It just really changes that sweet little baby face into a mischievous little boy face. Cute, but not quite so innocent.

Yesterday, Zeke's first tooth finally broke through his gums, and his second is following close behind. This is bittersweet for me. He has been bothered by the teething lately, and I'm glad it's getting a little better (until the next tooth comes!). It's good that he'll be able to eat more solid foods eventually (or should I just nurse him forever?). But he's really not going to be a baby much longer, so I'm holding on to every minute I can. All the minutes when he's not crawling or cruising away from me, that is. Good thing he's more willing to snuggle when teething makes him feel crummy.

Yesterday I also realized he's been saying his first word, though you might disagree. He can say "shoe" by putting his lips together and blowing. It sounds more like "bpooh," with a soft "bp" at the beginning, not harsh. But he's definitely imitating what I say and referring to his shoe. Woohoo! I do so love language development. I guess that goes right along with books about punctuation.

2 comments:

Phame's Blog said...

I know exactly how you feel, unfortunately my children get their teeth so early that I have already been dealing with teeth for about two months now. Joey still likes to take little bites when I nurse. He is such a sweet baby though that I am having a hard time punishing the behavior.

Bruce said...

There's nothing that makes daddy happier than coming home to baby Zeke who grins from ear to ear when he sees me and comes crawling as fast as he can so I can pick him up and say hello.