9/21/08

Running a race and surviving a marathon

Yesterday I ran my first 5k since becoming a mom (that's three little boys ago). In fact, I haven't really been a runner since I got married, thanks to Bruce's bum knee and my need for external motivation. Anyway, I ran the race with my sister-in-law, Leah, and can proudly say we finished strong. Now I've made a list of future running goals for us (better time, harder races, etc.) which has her running away from me. But I'm excited and for the first time ever I'm not going to use winter as an excuse to stop exercising.

We'll see about that come the first icy December morning I meet.

Then Bruce and I began our relay marathon--the true test of endurance. I got home from running to find the three T's (Tracen, Tyler, and Tate) playing happily/noisily/messily with our kids. Dan and Dee were in Provo for the (yawn) BYU shut-out. The boys were pretty good all afternoon. Then Bruce left to go watch the game on TV just before my friend dropped off her two youngest for me to watch for a few hours. That is eight kids (three under 1 year), and what's more, SEVEN BOYS and one little girl. We had a fun time for awhile. The kids were all pretty well-behaved, but it was still chaotic.

Blessings be on Dan and Dee (and Leo) for leaving the (yawn) game early and arriving just before I started feeding all the kids dinner. (They beat Bruce back home.) Thanks, Deanne, for helping get them all fed and happy. We were sad to say goodbye to your boys, but it was sure quiet when you left! Not too much later, the other two kids left and we all settled down.

I've just figured out why I enjoy running so much more now than when I was single. It is FAR EASIER than taking care of kids!

4 comments:

just dandee said...

Thank you thank you thank you for keeping our boys while we were at the (yawn) game. Believe it or not I really did have a good time. You proved yourself to truly be SUPER MOM. How many kids did you say you wanted? I think you did awesome with 8! Thanks again. Oh and I am still thinking about the LIME MANGO CHEESCAKE you so graciously made for Tate's B-day party. Thanks for that too. MMMMMM!

Todd and Lisa said...

Good job surviving! I have a hard enough time with just my two! And yes, it is much easier to run a 5K than take care of the kids. Glad you pointed that out....think I'll take up running again.

Phame's Blog said...

Way to go Christy! Did you run the whole time (I know you did when you had the 8 kids for the afternoon:). I remember our running days! Although I never did make it much past what a mile, mile and a half. I am proud of you!

The Moyers said...

Way to go with your race...more than anything the sense of accomplishment just feels good! Can't wait to hear about the next one you have planned!