6/15/08

Dads are the greatest

Happy Father's Day!


First of all, apologies to Bruce. I can bake, but I can't sculpt a marshmallow daddy lying on a beach of meringue, or make a bed out of shortcake with a mini family snuggling in it. At least he'll get some strawberry trifle today!



Sorry if I get sappy, but I want to send a note out to the fathers I know and love. They have done a lot for me and deserve a little recognition.



Dad, thanks for being there my whole life. You've always been the smartest guy I know, which I knew even when I didn't want to listen to you. Thanks for taking the time to teach me math and how to use a hammer, for reading me "Tale of Two Cities" and picking me up from dance classes. Thanks for answering my questions even now that I'm an adult. Thanks for showing me how to be a good parent, and for being such a wonderful grandpa to three little boys who adore you.



Bruce, thank you for being my stalwart friend and example. You are so steady and kind and good. Thanks for putting up with the kids and me in all our craziness, and for even seeming to enjoy it. I see you in each of the boys in so many different ways. I hope they grow up to be wonderful fathers, just like you. I can think of no greater compliment.



Leo, thank you for raising such good kids. You gave Bruce a great example to follow (in fact, I think he even wishes he could retire and head off on a mission right about now). I am glad to have an extra "father" in my life, even though you tease me into humility a little too often. Thanks for your love and for being there when we need you.



Thank you to these three wonderful men--I have been so blessed to have each of you in my life. I love you all.

No comments: