1/20/09

Zeke's big non-event

This could be it!!! The end of an era for Zeke, and the beginning of a whole new life!

You might think I'm talking about weaning Zeke, which we're in the middle of. But no, this is an even bigger milestone. I think Zeke will be giving up the BINKY! I am truly surprised, but it's just kind of happening. Not that Zeke doesn't love it, but he hasn't figured out yet that it's a necessary part of toddler life. Last night I tried putting him to bed without it, and amazingly he fell asleep without it! He even slept in later than usual this morning. Then again, naptime came and he fell asleep just fine.

Is this the trick? Take the binky away younger, not older? I have to say, it wasn't all that traumatic to remove the magic plug from Sammy (at age 2 and a bit) or Riley (at almost 3), because they mostly just got it at naptime. But this is even easier, and if Zeke can sleep without it, why should we encourage dependence by continuing to plug him? I guess it gets him quiet a little more quickly when he's crying, and maybe he falls asleep a little faster with it. Other than that, I don't think he really needs it. Especially since he's got a huge attachment to his blanket (way cooler, in my opinion).

What do you think? I'm interested in other binky-weaning experiences. Can it really be this easy?

1 comment:

Mary Sunshine said...

Congratulations on binky weaning! Noah just did it himself over Christmas break. He bit a hole in it and then we told him it was garbage so he threw it away. He did miss it for a little bit but we'd help him remember what he did with it and he accepted that. At this point, I'd say weaning earlier is better, although Noah is older than Zeke. Abe was 3 1/2 when his "disappeared". It was more peace of mind for us not to have to think about the issue anymore than trauma for the kid so, younger is better, in my book. Now, if we could only figure out how to detach 4 yr old Elise from her thumb...

P.S. Definitely having a tub brought in! I'd like to try the waterbirth experience.